by Mark Ollig
Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and LinkedIn – many of us are using one or more of these familiar social media websites.
Being curious about the recent online social media rankings, I checked out a list of the top 10 most-visited social media websites as compiled by Experian Hitwise, a subsidiary of Experian Marketing Services.
“Leveraging the world’s largest sample of online consumer behavior intelligence,” it says on Experian Marketing Services website.
For the week ending June 30, its sampling numbers are as follows:
Starting at number 10, the social media website MeetMe had 10,541,670 total visits.
• MeetMe says it is a social media website “where new friends meet.” MeetMe provides social games and apps. This website is headquartered in Pennsylvania and can be found at www.meetme.com.
• Before Facebook came along, I used MySpace. Today, this social networking website is ranked at number nine. It had 10,941, 526 visits. MySpace is found at www.myspace.com.
• This next social media website used for networking business and job opportunities is ranked at number eight. The numbers show LinkedIn with 20,235,962 total visits. You can visit their website at www.linkedin.com.
• Number seven is a social media website called Tagged.
This website boasts that it is “The social network for meeting new people.”
Tagged offers playing games online with others, and sharing interests via chatting. It had 20,299,682 visits.
This website is located at www.tagged.com.
• Google’s new social media website called Google+ comes in at number six, with 21,934,956 visits.
Google+ has not taken away very many users from Facebook; however, it is continually making changes as it tries to find the right formula, and the right combination of features to sway more users to their website.
Although I’m a member of Google+, I still spend most of my time using Facebook, as nearly all of my Facebook friends have not migrated to Google+.
The Google+ homepage is www.google.com/+.
• At number five we find Yahoo! Answers.
“Yahoo! Answers is a place where people ask and answer questions on any topic. Why not share your facts, opinions and personal experiences with the Yahoo! Answers community?” proclaims the statement on the Yahoo! Answers website.
Visits here were listed at 23,063,168. You can find Yahoo. Answers at www.answers.yahoo.com.
• Pinterest is the current buzzword out on the social media listings, and is considered by many to be one of the more popular up-and-coming social media sites.
Pinterest says it is “a content sharing service that allows members to pin images, videos, and other objects to their pinboard. [The website] also includes standard social networking features.”
It is currently ranked fourth. Total visits to Pinterest during the sampling period were 24,166,237.
Now we come down to the final three social media websites. Can you guess what they are?
These three are solid social media sites; meaning, in this humble writers opinion, they are currently the foundation for online social media being used in this, and many other countries.
• Coming in at number three, according to the folks at Experian Hitwise, is Twitter, with 55,408,477 visits.
Twitter calls itself “a real-time information network that connects you to the latest stories, ideas, opinions, and news about what you find interesting.”
Twitter has grown from a small, experimental online social messaging venue, into a worldwide news, political, celebrity, personal and business messaging tool.
You can find Twitter at www.twitter.com. You can find my Twitter rants there at user bitsandbytes.
• Ranked number two is the popular online social video sharing website, YouTube.
For the week ending June 30, YouTube registered 549,509,277 visits.
“Founded in February 2005, YouTube allows billions of people to discover, watch, and share originally-created videos. YouTube provides a forum for people to connect, inform, and inspire others across the globe and acts as a distribution platform for original content creators and advertisers large and small,” states YouTube’s website.
Many of us not only upload videos to YouTube, but spend hours watching and commenting on them. Their website is located at www.youtube.com.
And so we have come down to the number one online social media website. Was there any doubt it wouldn’t be Facebook?
• The number one online social media website, located at www.facebook.com, had an incredible 1,701,466,617 visits for the week ending June 30.
“Facebook is a social utility that connects people with friends and others who work, study, and live around them,” says their website.
Facebook has become the number one online social media venue because of its users who regularly post messages, photos, videos, and links on it for other Facebook members, family, and friends to see.
Today, many businesses and organizations are using Facebook as a resource tool for directly communicating with people.
It was reported by online social statistics gatherer Socialbakers, that during July, Facebook had 156.2 million users in the US alone, and more than 900 million users worldwide.
What new feature components will be used in creating the next number one online social media website?