Tweet This! :)

Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Reminiscing: demolition of the old grade school


©Mark Ollig        

Facebook has officially reached 2.32 billion monthly active users.

Little did I know, it would end up being the means which brought together former classmates, who I had not seen or talked to in decades.

During the 2010 demolition of the old Holy Trinity grade school building in Winsted (where I attended school), Facebook all of a sudden became the source used to share information and memories among its former classmates.

Many of these classmates had spread out and were living in other parts of Minnesota or in different states. Facebook brought us all together again.

June 2010, I traveled to Winsted and visited the grade school building. I brought my camera to take pictures of the old school before next month’s scheduled demolition.

I uploaded these photos to my Facebook profile, where all my Facebook friends could see and comment on them.

A week later, I uploaded a six-picture photo album onto my Facebook page which included a photo of the grade school’s southeast corner, where the 1907 corner block had already been removed. A few dozen “St. Mary’s bricks” were lying on the ground.

“Can we get a brick or two?” was the first comment posted from a former classmate.

Thus, the “tearing-down-of-the-grade-school” conversation began on Facebook.

Soon, other photos of the grade school were being uploaded and shared among Facebook users and former students living in Winsted.

Facebook quickly became the new “street corner hangout,” the place to meet and chat about the tearing down of our beloved grade school.

Many former classmates reminisced about their experiences attending the grade school, and were posting messages about past teachers, classes, and memorable events.

And so, grade school memories flowed – causing a wave of nostalgia to set in on one group of Facebook users.

On July 10 (one day after the demolition), I took 30 photos of what was left after all of the brick and mortar walls had been removed. There wasn’t much left, except for the stone foundation, a few inner walls, and piles of rubble scattered here and there.

Looking over where “the tunnel” crisscrossed into the high school, I noted the tunnel’s entrance next to the high school cafeteria was now filled with bricks, cement blocks, and debris.

Lying on top of a small pile of broken bricks, pieces of plaster, and broken wooden lathes, I came across an item which immediately caught my attention.

I focused my camera and took a picture of a dusty and slightly-damaged plastic cover case from an LP (Millennials: this stands for long-playing) vinyl album record player (1970s Fisher Price player) containing the paper jacket from a children’s record for grades k-6. The paper record jacket showed a picture of a small group of smiling grade school children with the words “Music! Music! Music!” written above them in bold colors.

Seeing this paper jacket lying on top of the ruins of what was once a place filled with learning, laughter, and memories caused me to become somewhat taken aback and melancholy.

It was eerily quiet as I stood out there alone on that hot July afternoon, surveying the remains of my former school and remembering the teachers, nuns, priests, classrooms and classes, and my classmates who share those memories.

Looking over where the entrance to the underground tunnel to the high school was, I recall our teacher getting us into “single-file” to walk through the tunnel to the cafeteria for lunch, a Friday afternoon pep rally, or tornado drills.

I posted the photos from that day on Facebook.

“Looking at these pictures kind of makes me a little nauseated. Very sad, progress really sucks sometimes,” wrote a former classmate.

“Good pictures, Mark. It looks very strange to see our grade school gone,” wrote another classmate friend.

“They should give away the bricks; it would be a physical memento to cherish,” commented another classmate.

Feeling a bit disheartened while taking pictures of the ruins of my former grade school, I looked at the nearby, newly-built grade school building, and considered the positives.

“Now, new memories are being made by a whole new generation,” I thought to myself.

Holy Trinity School in Winsted uploaded a YouTube video of the grade school’s demolition from July 9, 2010. It can be seen at https://bit.ly/2HPvFBX.

Photo by Mark Ollig
July 2010

Photo by Mark Ollig
July 2010